Saints

Saints
Saints We Love

Monday, April 18, 2011

Pope Benedict XVI Speaks Out, "YOUCAT"


 POPE BENEDICT XVI speaks out, "YOUCAT"

This morning I heard a great interview on EWTN with Ignatius Press, "speaking out" for the new YOUCAT. YOUCAT is short for Youth Catechism of the Catholic Church. Everyone will want to know why YOUCAT is yellow and white. Some may have guessed, "Because it is the color of the Vatican flag!" You would have been correct! 

For two years, groups of 50 youth banded together to work on this new Catechism of the Catholic Church for youth, under the direction of Cardinal Christoph Schönborn, Archbishop of Vienna, Austria, who was the editor of Catechism of the Catholic Church. The EWTN interview was exciting for me and, with 15 grandchildren, I hurried to order YOUCAT! 

I was happy to see the comments by Pope Benedict XVI on the new YOUCAT. He said much more than the following but here are a few things that are interesting: (my personal comments in the parentheses) 

"Today I recommend for your reading an unusual book . . ." (this Pope cares for the youth!) 

"Should we not attempt to translate the Catechism of the Catholic Church into the language of young people? Should we not bring its great riches into the world of today's youth?" (YES!!!!) 

"Many people say to me: The youth of today are not interested in this. I disagree, and I am certain that I am right. THE YOUTH OF TODAY ARE NOT AS SUPERFICIAL AS SOME THINK. They want to know what life is all about . . ." (this was my personal favorite! POPE BENEDICT XVI has confidence in the youth of today!) 

"This book is exciting because it speaks of our own destiny and so deeply engages every one of us. I invite you: Study this Catechism! That is my heartfelt desire." 

"This catechism was not written to please you. It will not make life easy for you, because it demands of you a new life." (this was my other personal favorite!) 

"It places before you the Gospel message as the "pearl of great value" (Mt 13:45) for which you must give everything." 

"So I beg you: Study this Catechism with passion and perseverance. Make a sacrifice of your time for it! Study it in the quiet of your room; read it with a friend; form study groups and networks; share with each other on the Internet. By all means continue to talk with each other about your faith...." (and this was another favorite! "study with passion and perseverance") 

"Of course, there are many differences even among the youth of today's world. And so now, under the capable direction of the Archbishop of Vienna, Christoph Cardinal Schoenborn, YOUCAT has been produced for young people. I hope that many young people will let themselves be fascinated by this book













No comments: