Saints

Saints
Saints We Love

Saturday, April 16, 2011

THE DONKEY - G. K. Chesterton

                                                                                                                                          
 G. K. Chesterton

The Donkey
When fishes flew and forests walked
  And figs grew upon thorn,
  Some moment when the moon was blood
  Then surely I was born.
With monstrous head and sickening cry
  And ears like errant wings,
  The devil’s walking parody
  On all four-footed things.
The tattered outlaw of the earth,
  Of ancient crooked will;
  Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
  I keep my secret still.
Fools! For I also had my hour;
  One far fierce hour and sweet:
  There was a shout about my ears,
  And palms before my feet.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How very appropriate for this weekend, Miss Terry! You are the best! (Well, you and Chesterton, of course) <3

Terry Fenwick said...

The last 4 lines broke my heart - the Donkey holding HIM up High in the crowd of the 'other' lambs entering in - knew WHO HE was!

What a Poem! What a Truth!

Vivian Ruth said...

Thank you, Terry! I'm going to post it on our church's FB page!