Saints

Saints
Saints We Love

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

You Might Be A Saint If . . . Christian Mathis


This morning I had the privilege of talking with the 8th graders at St. John Neumann School in Knoxville, TN. One of the things that struck me during the visit was the commentary during the morning prayer and announcements on one of the saints we celebrate this day. Before this morning, I couldn’t have told you anything about St. Peter Chanel. As I listened to the few sentences about his life, I knew that this was someone I should learn more about, but at the same time I knew that I probably already knew everything I needed to know about him—he was faithful to Christ.
As I reflected more upon the life of this man, it also gave me an idea for today’s blogpost. So, in Jeff Foxworthy style, I present to the readers of this blog,


You might be a saint if….
You might be a saint if all your efforts seem to result in failure and you are beaten to death. 


You might be a saint if you have ever struggled with demons and overcome them with the help of Christ. St. Mary Magdalene


You might be a saint if you have ever had to struggle with doubts about your faith. St. Thomas



You might be a saint if you have ever advised a Pope, and had him listen to you.  St. Catherine of Siena


You might be a saint if you have ever suffered for your faith. St. Athanasius


You might be a saint if you have ever suffered from a life threatening disease. St. Thérèse of Lisieux



You might be a saint if you have ever spent more than 30 years living on the top of a pillar. St. Symeon the Stylite


You might be a saint if you have ever spent years praying for members of your family. St. Monica


You might be a saint if you are a lawyer? St. Thomas More


In all seriousness, if there are any of you out there that don’t know the story of St. Thomas More, run….don’t walk….to the video store to rent A Man For All Seasons.



While all of the above are characteristics of various saints, each with their own unique story, there is one thing that is certain to guarantee sainthood.


You will be a saint if you Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength and your neighbor as yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.