Saints

Saints
Saints We Love

Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Hidden Life of Jesus - Henri Nouwen


He once was a little boy . . .



The largest part of Jesus' life was hidden.  Jesus lived with his parents in Nazareth, "under their authority" (Luke 2:51), and there "increased in wisdom, in stature, and in favour with God and with people" (Luke 2:52).  When we think about Jesus we mostly think about his words and miracles, his passion, death, and resurrection, but we should never forget that before all of that Jesus lived a simple, hidden life in a small town, far away from all the great people, great cities, and great events.  Jesus' hidden life is very important for our own spiritual journeys.  If we want to follow Jesus by words and deeds in the service of his Kingdom, we must first of all strive to follow Jesus in his simple, unspectacular, and very ordinary hidden life. 



He once was a little boy . . .

4 comments:

Terry Fenwick said...

These our from our family - the top picture is our newest Great Grandson being held by our first Son-in-Love, and the lower picture is our first born (by 7 minutes) holding his third grandchild, the same little boy in the top picture.

Unknown said...

I love that you paired these pics with your post. So perfect ... though somehow I never quite thought of Jesus wearing a knitted tossle-cap. ;-)
<3

Terry Fenwick said...

He would have to keep his head warmed - when he got out of the swaddling clothes - and, "Look Mom! It's a Rainbow!" He invented the Rainbow, you know . . . and his Father used it as a colored highlighter marker . . . remember?

Genesis 9:13 I set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16 When the bow is in the clouds, I will look upon it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth." 17 God said to Noah, "This is the sign of the covenant which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth."

Terry Fenwick said...

Also like the Apple on the other picture - Apple of God's Eye?