Saints

Saints
Saints We Love

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Catholic Bible Dictionary - Scott Hahn


162 of 167 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars The CATHOLIC BIBLE DICTIONARY We've Been Waiting For! June 17, 2009
Format:Hardcover|Amazon Verified Purchase
Although I have only been Catholic for 6 years, for over 40 years I have been a Bible student and teacher with literally thousands of books and I do know good resource books. Catholic Bible Dictionary is a great Catholic Dictionary! I trust everything Dr. Scott Hahn has published because I know anyone seeking truth is safe under the teaching of this well-known writer and scholar; the information has been researched historically, as well as having used the Sacred Scripture and the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

I had been on the wait list for the Catholic Bible Dictionary and was anxious for it to arrive. The Dictionary was a long time coming but I knew it would be worth the waiting. I was right! Today the Catholic Bible Dictionary arrived. I dropped everything I was holding, ran for a knife and opened the box! I fell in love with the cover which is a picture of the center section of the painting The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb by Jan and Hubert Van Eyck. (Saint Bavo Cathedral of Ghent.) The painting is glorious! And, that is even before I opened the book! Next I opened the book and the first thing I saw was the Imprimatur . . . that is a good thing. Converts really like that.

And then, I love the fonts. It is large print and you know immediately that everything is important. Sections are divided so that you will see where you have been and where you are going! In a dictionary? How unusual is that! And that is just at first glance! You see a list of the Church Fathers . . . this is just the beginning! I have hardly had time to look at everything but I have read some of the introductions of different Books of the Bible and they are perfect; each book of the Bible is identified. There is a history of the versions of the Bible!
 There are complete definitions for topics not covered in great detail in other dictionaries, i.e., Covenant, Liturgy, Interpretation of the Bible. On the cover there is a notation that there are "over five thousand entries as well as the latest up-to-date information on every important item, name, place, and event in Sacred Scripture."

Catholic Bible Dictionary is an academically solid CATHOLIC dictionary, with many superb references and very easy to read. I have already gifted this beautiful book to five friends and would not hesitate giving this to a Protestant. We will all find Truths we need to know in this new resource book. I will be back and edit this review after I use the book more, however, since people are going to want to know what people are saying about the Catholic Bible Dictionary, I wanted to get this on Amazon.

What do I say? I say one thing - "Buy it! You can't be disappointed."

No comments: