Saints

Saints
Saints We Love

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Open Letter to Our Seven (7!!!!) Sons

Dear Ted, Tom, Kevin, Tim, Michael, Chris and Jon

This morning a good friend wrote this to me:

This morning the end of Mass something compelled me to ask the priest, “Father Dominic,” who is in his 70s, the memory that gave him the most joy. And paraphrasing Johnny Mercer’s best song, I said the words: “When your life is through, and the angels ask you to recall the thrill of them all -- what will you tell them? ( What was the most joyous moment of your life?)

Father Dominic immediately recalled a moment when he was little “on the farm, when my three sisters and I – and a cousin – were playing in the fields. And a man my father knew, who used to buy cattle, arrived and – he looked at us and told our father, “You are blessed with so many wonderful children.” And my father replied: “All the money in the world could not buy the weakest of them (from me).”

Father Dominic said, “and when my father, that night at dinner, repeated that story . . . THAT was the moment I was so (full of joy) at that thought of my father’s. To know he felt that way.”

Well, TED, TOM, KEVIN, TIM, MICHAEL, CHRIS AND JON . . .

I don't think I have ever told you this. I can say the same words so easily, although you ALL may not KNOW IT! So, may I say it to you this morning. "All the money in the world could not buy the weakest of any of you from me!"

I don't know actually who is the weakest and/or the strongest of you - that is not important - not to me - but I know that I prospered in my life because of ALL of you. You all have had so much to offer. Everyone of you has made a difference in your world and mine.

Your forgiveness of my learning on you - "How to be a Mother" has been a great gift. How dear you were to grow up with me as I learned and made so many mistakes. I thank you for loving me through that - although sometimes it might have been a love/hate relationship, yet you always called me Mother and you always put the lid down - you were wonderful sons. I would not trade the best or the worst of times - for all the money in the world. I know your father - and in some cases your fathers - would not trade them either - because you were and still are the greatest men of all. Even today, I want no changes - perfection for YOU and your family, of course, as you learn to be the best husbands, fathers and grandfathers !!! Enjoy life as you learn as it only comes by once - a day at a time.

Thank you for being my sons. Thank you for being who you were and who you are. I love you very much. Mother


=

No comments: